Tuesday, February 3, 2009

The Zoo - Literally!

I finally decided to sit down and do some posts. I've been a little bit of a slacker lately. Oh well!

Anyway, on MLK Day, I decided to take the kids to the Portland Zoo since the sun was out. We packed our lunches and some snacks, put on jackets and loaded in the Sequioa. I even let the kids watch a movie on the way down (normally we don't put a movie on for them unless we are in the car for at least an hour...I should have known that I would be jinxing myself!) Anyway, after a peaceful (yeah to movies!) drive, we arrived at the zoo. Yippee!!! Wait I take that back...
NO PARKING! ANYWHERE!!!

NOT EVEN IN THE OVERFLOW!!!!!!
After 30 minutes (see, we were in the car longer than an hour therefore we didn't break the movie rules!) of driving around and crossing our fingers for a parking spot, we finally got one! YIPPEE!!!
I thought the zoo might be a little crowded because of the holiday, but this was crazy crowded. Anyway, when we got to the front of the line I asked why it was such a zoo at the zoo. Well, apparently it was a
FREE zoo day!
What??? On a holiday weekend??? (I probably would have been more excited if I didn't have zoo passes and had to actually pay to get in!)

Since we were already there, and had packed lunches, and had spent 30 minutes looking for a parking spot we decided to stick it out. And we had a great time (even with the massive crowds). Hayden had fun taking pictures with his camera (if I knew how to upload them, I would post some. Oh well.) And we got to see the baby elephant (major crowd there!). It was so cute as it followed it's mom (I presume) around.
Here are the troops at the end of the day. Notice the sun! Alex was stuggling because the sun was SO bright in his eyes.All in all, we had a GREAT day!

No comments: