Monday, April 14, 2008

My Duathlon

I decided on Tuesday to participate in the Spring Classic Duathlon (the same one I did last year). I wasn't initially planning on entering in the race because Tamara wasn't going to do it and part of the reason I enjoyed it last year was because I did it with a friend. Well, Tammy approached me Tuesday morning about doing the race with her. At first I said no, but then during my morning run I thought more about it. I realized it wouldn't conflict with anything on the calendar and it was going to be a beautiful, warm day, so I decided "what the heck!" (A decision that I questioned many times during my second run...which was pure torture!). So I tapered my workouts for the rest of the week and changed up my eating so that I would be better ready for the race. I was very nervous about this duathlon. Not because I didn't think I would be able to finish but because I hadn't been training for it (you know...intervals, longer runs, riding outside...b/c of darkness or cold, rainy weather). I knew that if I didn't beat my time from last year I would be really bummed. Well, luckily I did better than last year. Yippee!!! I was able to run my fastest 5K yet! I ran an average of an 8:46 minute mile! Yippee!!! I was hoping to do better on my bike time and on my 2nd 5K run, but the head wind really made that difficult. BUT...I did better anyway. I completed the race in 1 hour 51 minutes and 14 seconds! and came in 152nd! out of almost 300 people! Now I am totally excited to start training for the duathlon I will be doing with Tamara at the beginning of August. Intervals here I come!

This is me coming from my bike transition. At this point, my legs feel like rubber and I am think how cruel they are for making us go up a hilll (even if it's a little one).Here I am waving at Dave and the kids as they are cheering me on. It took every once of extra energy I had just to raise my arm and wave a finger. But, I sure was grateful they could be there to support me. My friend Tamara even brought her family over to help support and cheer me on. Thanks Tamara! You're a great friend!Here I am on my last strech before the finish line. Yeah!This is me as I am about to cross the finish line!Here is Tammy and me after the race. I'm barely "there" because I just finished (she finished about 20 minutes before me) and I am completely exhausted! But, I beat my time from last year by 4 minutes even with the head wind!

3 comments:

Tamara said...

I'm so proud of you for finishing! And I loved being there to be a cheerleader. I thinkg that's my real calling--why compete? It's not nearly as fun as watching other people suffer from the sidelines!

Nicole Jackson said...

Great job Tiffany! I'm not so sure that I want to run with you?! Love reading the blog!

Sharrid said...

WOW, Tiffany! I'm so impressed! I know I'll never, ever do anything like what you're doing but that's because I'm "old and lazy"!!! No, I'm not!!! I'm "young and energetic"!