Friday, August 8, 2008

Camping

In July, we decided it would be fun to take the kids camping and go fishing over the weekend. We had no reservations because we procrastinated too much, so we decided to "risk it" and try to stay in a campground where it's first come first serve. We got all packed up and out the door around 2 pm Friday. Then we drove about an hour a way (by Yale, Lake Merwin and Swift Reservoir) to look for a camping spot. Here's what we kept coming across "Campground full". Augh! At the last of many campground we stopped at, the ranger told us to try the Horse Camp that was about 5 miles away. We did and there was plenty of room for us! Yippee!!! But not so fast...Let's just say that horse people are not so fond of non-horse people in "their" campground. We were told we had to leave by 2 different campers even though the there was nothing posted saying you HAD TO HAVE A HORSE. We of course stayed, had smores and apple crisp, watched the movie "RV" in our Sequoia, had yummy scones for breakfast and went fishing.

Natalie took Kiki for "walks" as the boys fished.
When we came back from fishing, there were 4 people, 2 cars, a horse trailer and 3 horses in our campsite! What??? But, because the people had horses, they thought they were entitled to camp wherever they wanted and that we could share our space, table, campfire, etc. Dave and I had already decided that we were going to pack up right after lunch and take to boys fishing at Round Lake by our house/ ;;ybbhl cv, but having our space invaded finalized our decision...and we convinced the intruders to give us our camping fee back since they essentially took over our spot!
Once we got back to Vancouver, the kids helped us unload and wash the Sequoia. Then Dave took the boys fishing.

Cleaning the Sequoia. Can I just say that pressure washers are the best!
Fishing at Round Lake and showing off their bottle cap collection.

Moral of the story: Avoid horse camps...unless you have a horse, or course.

2 comments:

Sharrid said...

I love the pix! Especially the one of Natalie and Kiki. I thought it was great initially but then I enlarged it and saw her "oreo-mouth" and I thought I'd die laughing! It is wonderful!

I think we'll also avoid "horse camps"! At least you had fun fishing!

Tiffany said...

Mom...Natalie downed the oreos. Her face got even worse as the day went on.